LOCATION: Historic Cloverdale Ranch is located in northwest Fannin County with headquarter and homestead access along County Road 274, ~4 miles north of Ravenna, Texas. The northern boundary of this riverfront ranch is nearly a mile and a half of Red River frontage.
From Dallas, the drive time is ~1 hour and 15 minutes. Travel north on US-75 and exit onto TX State Hwy 121 northeast, travel ~33 miles along TX State Hwy 121 to Bonham, Texas. From Bonham, travel north on FM 78 for ~11 miles to County Road 274. Travel west on County Road 274 for ~4 miles to ranch's primary entrance located on the north side of County Road 274.
HISTORY: Located on the high banks of the Red River, Cloverdale Ranch is a historic fourth generation family ranch with rich history. Prior to the Civil War, in 1851 the property was purchased by Gideon Smith, a former Texas State Representative for Fannin County and Confederate Colonel. Mr. Smith founded Smith Plantation and operated the ranch plantation until his 1900 sale to Fannin County Judge, James Spies. In 1933 Judge Spies sold the ranch to John C. Bond and has remained in the Bond Family ever since. A historical marker for the Smith Plantation is located along County Road 274 just east of the ranch's entrance. In more recent years, the ranch's primary uses have been farming, cattle production and outdoor recreation.
RANCH HOMES: Constructed in 1935, the primary two-story family home pays tribute to the ranch's plantation history. This main home features four bedrooms and two and a half bathrooms. In a courtyard nearby, a one story caretaker's house with two bedrooms and one bathroom shares road frontage and close proximity to ranch barns, working pens and implement storage facilities. Currently, both homes are used frequently and could be updated, if desired.
BARNS, STORAGE and WORKING PENS: North of the ranch entry is the livestock and agriculture headquarters. Facilities include a 40'X50' metal workshop, a 45'x40' metal hay barn, corrals and modern pipe working pens. All of these improvements are fully functional, in good condition and centrally located.
PASTURES AND TERRAIN:Northern Portion- The riverfront northern portion of the ranch encompasses approximately 1,082.45+/- acres and features all of the improvements and nearly a mile and a half of spectacular Red River frontage as its northern boundary. Wildlife, crops and family events all benefit from this highly scenic river setting. Tree canopy comprises ~45% of the northern portion's acreage. Tree cover consists primarily of Pecan, Hackberry, Elm, Bois D'Arc and other hardwoods. The open pastures are meticulously fenced and crossed fenced into 10+ separate pastures for prolific crop production and high density cattle grazing. Crops are rotated annually with sorghums, wheat, soybeans and Bermuda grass hay being typical ranch crops. Soils are highly productive and range primarily from Seven-Belk-Redlake and Ferris Type loams and clays. Sandy Creek traverses the heavily wooded eastern portion of the ranch and is accessible via the ranch's current road / trail system. Underground water resources are said to be excellent. Multiple ground springs create visible water permeation and runoff which funnels into Sandy Creek and Spies Lake which is located in the middle of the northern portion of the ranch.
Southern Portion: Approximately 400.71+/- acres are located south of the headquarters and County Road 274. This southern portion of the ranch is mostly open pasture and has been primarily used for hay production and rotational grazing. These pastures are fenced, cross fenced and have ample livestock ponds. Additionally, a two and a half acre lake has been constructed and the owners report outstanding fishing.
HUNTING: Crescent shaped Spies Lake is a USGS named lake which is located in the middle of the ranch. Named after previous owner, Judge Spies, this shallow water lake offers an outstanding water source for wildlife and waterfowl. Mallards, teal, pintails and other puddle ducks make frequent use of this reservoir. Spies Lake could be further developed with water control structures, implementing moist soil management and planting annual and perennial waterfowl crops. Deer hunting is outstanding with strong trophy potential due to low deer densities, historical management practices, adequate food, water and diverse cover. The ranch has a strong population of wild turkeys and dove hunting is reported to be excellent due to the ranch's typical crop production, low hunting pressure and flyway.
FISHING: The Red River frontage offers outstanding angling opportunities for trophy stripers, catfish and other game fish. A 2.5+/- acre lake has been constructed on the southern portion of the ranch and is stocked with bass, catfish and forage fish.
TENANT/CARETAKER/RANCH INCOME: Cloverdale Ranch has developed a long term relationship with its current tenant / caretaker. Currently, the tenant lives on the ranch in the caretaker's home and leases the ranch for agricultural production and cattle operation. This lease provides a good source of income for the landowners and offers security, upkeep and day to day ranch management. More information about this lease, crop yields and cattle production are available upon request.
UTILITIES: Water for the homes are provided by a water well. The electricity is furnished by Fannin County Electrical Co-op. Each house has its own independent septic systems. All gas needs are served by refillable propane tanks.
MINERALS: The owner believes to own a substantial portion of the mineral estate of Cloverdale Ranch.
TAXES: The property is agriculturally exempt and the taxes are estimated to be ~$8,800 in 2014.
Hortenstine Ranch Company, LLC (Broker)
Cash McWhorter 469-222-4076 mobile
Wright Monning 214-794-1475 mobile
10711 Preston Road, Suite 100
Dallas, Texas 75230
Click the link to see more ranches for sale in Texas